Saturday gave birth to our first large scale catering event and it went great. The event was in celebration of Todd Bruce's birthday which was quite the party. This was a brilliant opportunity for us to expand our reach a little further and we had fantastic feedback and comments. For the menu we focused on small hours d' ouvres, skewered foods and self contained items that were easy to pass, and enjoy with just a couple of bites.
The Menu was narrowed down to include eight passed hour d' ouvres, chinese boxes with a summer soba noodle salad, and then desserts.
The passed apps. consisted of the following :
- Chicken 'Satay' , marinated in achiote and curry, with a goji berry mole
- Chorizo & Manchego quesadillas with chive and caramelized onion
- Peeky toe Crab and lime over a lemongrass - coconut soup.
- Scallop ceviche, with tangerine, pickled jalapeno, grapefruit and cilantro in mini corn cups
- Vietnamese stye pulled pork shoulder, with a avocado puree in mini corn cups
- Carrot & Star anise shooters
- mini Kobe beef sliders, with queso fresca, roasted poblanos & lemon aioli
- Pork potstickers with shitake and a chimmichuri dipping sauce.
For the composed salad we tossed the soba noodles in sesame & chili oil, then with mixed greens, cucumber, baby bok choy, red bell pepper, crushed peanut, and it was tied together with a citrus - peanut dressing.
Dessert was more of a collaborative effort between us and the client, he had requested some more traditional desserts along with a baklava. No spilt milk, he is paying after all. We put out a really nice spread of mini baklava that was infused with green cardamom, dipped strawberries, in candied sesame seed, coco nibs, goji berry, and sugared cardamom. There were also strawberry shortcakes, and bunellos in a cinnamon - ginger sugar. All of them went off really well, the crowd tore through them, which is always a god sign.
The party was hosted by Dr. Peter Georgiou, a Chiropractic Physician here in Chicago at the ReAlign clinic on Belmont, with a beautiful Lakeveiw home recently featured in Better Homes and Gardens. There are terrific terraces as well as a gorgeous outdoor patio loaded with native plantings, imbedded limestone seating and dripping flowers.